Monday 6th-Friday 10th September - Various times and locations throughout Derry-Londonderry
Together Alone: Solos in the City
Throughout the week of the 6th-10th September twenty local movement artists ranging in age from 7 to 70 will be performing short solos in outdoor spaces all over Derry. There will be around ten dances popping up each day in the city centre and in the outskirts. These are dances that resonate being in a place alone, but with a sense of connection to people and the fabric of the world around us. Each dance is a short gem of movement, performed only with the ambient sound of the place itself, appearing and disappearing within three minutes. Each day a small community of movers will make their way from space to space on a trail connecting the places that are important for them. Look out for the group moving around the city to watch one or more of their dances.
The solos will be filmed by Colin Norrby who will create a short impressionistic film from the material to be premiered online on Saturday 25th September, the last day of the festival.
Esther Alleyne, Steve Batts, Connor Bell, Majella Biernat, Liam Cunningham, Emma Duddy, Naya Duffy, Ellen Factor, Dennis Golden, Maggie Hannon, James King, Gail Mahon, Ayesha Mailey, Tina McCauley, Kelly Quigley, Zoe Ramsey, Tonya Sheina, Dara Sheina-Batts, Mira Sheina-Batts, Lihi Shivak
Echo Echo Festival of Dance and Movement 'live and online' returns for an eighth edition from 4th to 25th September 2021 with an outstanding programme performances and events. Festival programme includes photographic exhibition and multi-media installation within Echo Echo's home studios on Magazine Street; an online programme of solos and performance events; special 'live' performance events taking place around the city of Derry and surrounding areas; and a Festival Film Premiere.
Join us to move and be moved!
Film by Simon Alleyne.
Featuring original music from ‘Amid the Noise and the Haste’ by Colin Norrby.
Thanks to all of the artists, audiences and partners involved in 2021!
- Livestream Solos by the Echo Echo Ensemble and guest artists from the Body Wisdom group
- Together Alone: Solos in the City - A series of short solos by 20 different dancers around the city of Derry and surrounding areas
- Folds of the Soul: Portraits in Time - A multi-media installation by Kate Wilson with 'live' associated dance performances
- I N T E R F A C E: A digital performance in shared time by Emily Welther and Daniel Brandl
- Festival Photographic Retrospective Gallery by Simon Alleyne
- Testero Utero Go! Litter Womb - site specific work by Natasha Bourke presented in association with Causeway Coast Maritime Heritage Group
- Amid the Noise and the Haste - a film by Colin Norrby (Premiere)
View Festival Programme (pdf, 10MB) or click image above.
View Festival Programme (ISSUU online reader)
All Echo Echo Festival events in September 2021 are free of charge.
Please consider donating what you can to support our continuing work and save the arts. Thank you.
Please support us to maintain a healthy and safe environment for everyone involved by following all Covid-19 best hygiene practice. All Echo Echo Festival events are risk assessed and public health and safety is our top priority so please adhere to guidance provided by Festival staff and stewards. Thank you!
Echo Echo Festival Team
- Artistic Director – Steve Batts
- Associate Artistic Director – Ayesha Mailey
- Company Manager – Ailbe Beirne
- Development Officer – Anna Nolan
- Technical Manager – Barry Davis
- Echo Echo Ensemble – Ayesha Mailey, Kelly Quigley, Zoe Ramsey, Tonya Sheina
- Video and Photography – Simon Alleyne
- Publicity artwork and design – Ciaran Harley at zoocreative
- Board of Directors – Deirdre Gillespie, Esther Alleyne, Mandy Blinco, Cath McBride
Thanks to all of the artists involved for all of their generous collaborative approach and encouragement in making this programme possible – and to all of their circles of colleagues, funders and supporters.
Thank you to our principal funders, Arts Council of Northern Ireland and Derry City and Strabane District Council; special mentions for Caoileann Curry-Thompson and team at ACNI and to Jacqueline Whoriskey, John Kerr and all of the team at Council for their flexibility and support throughout the pandemic. Thanks to all of the previous Festival funders and supporters over the last eight years.
Our thanks to the Woodland Trust, Department for Communities, Altnagelvin Hospital, City Cemetery (DCSDC), St Columb’s Cathedral, Foyle Valley, City Centre Initiative, Translink, Inner City Trust, Executive Office NI and Foyle Port. Many thanks again to all at Causeway Coast Maritime Heritage Group.
Thanks to all of the Echo Echo staff, ensemble and directors for their continued commitment and dedication during what has been a hugely difficult time for the arts and for society as a whole.
Finally, thanks to you – our audiences, colleagues, friends and family for your continued support!