Click Zoom link below for access to event
I N T E R F A C E: A digital performance in shared time - by Emily Welther & Daniel Brandl
Experimenting with the movement of the body and audio programs that loop, layer and distort sounds, Emily and Daniel use their "digits" to explore the digital technologies available to them and to approach the spaces they each inhabit. They listen and watch through the interface of their screens and attempt to connect to each other and the audience beyond the physical borders of their devices. Microphones and cameras become eyes and ears; visual and acoustic details are enlarged and amplified; the energy of the moving body is captured and sent out in pixels and vibrations through digital space. These tiniest movements and nearly inaudible sounds invite the audience to watch, to listen, and to be touched by the connections happening through, beyond, and because of the I N T E R F A C E.
Born in the United States, Emily Welther has worked extensively as a dancer/performer in Germany and internationally, and has collaborated on many projects with Echo Echo including Resonance (2005) Consequences (2007) and Motion Ensemble (2013). Emily currently experiments with live and digital performance, exploring the sounds that emerge when the human body and its environment come in closest contact.
Daniel Brandl is a cellist, composer, and experimental musician, based in Germany and working internationally. He composes music for dance and theater productions, for several bands, and has made three solo albums. He works with eccentric sounds using his cello, various objects, and his computer as instruments.
Zoom link and audio instructions
We advise audience members to log in around 10 minutes before the performance. Limited viewing capacity online. When watching you will need either headphones or connection with a speaker system. The intended audio effect will not be captured through computer speakers.
Meeting ID: 844 5970 7070
Echo Echo Festival of Dance and Movement 'live and online' returns for an eighth edition from 4th to 25th September 2021 with an outstanding programme performances and events. Festival programme includes photographic exhibition and multi-media installation within Echo Echo's home studios on Magazine Street; an online programme of solos and performance events; special 'live' performance events taking place around the city of Derry and surrounding areas; and a Festival Film Premiere.
Join us to move and be moved!
- Livestream Solos by the Echo Echo Ensemble and guest artists from the Body Wisdom group
- Together Alone: Solos in the City - A series of short solos by 20 different dancers around the city of Derry and surrounding areas
- Folds of the Soul: Portraits in Time - A multi-media installation by Kate Wilson with 'live' associated dance performances
- I N T E R F A C E: A digital performance in shared time by Emily Welther and Daniel Brandl
- Festival Photographic Retrospective Gallery by Simon Alleyne
- Testero Utero Go! Litter Womb - site specific work by Natasha Bourke presented in association with Causeway Coast Maritime Heritage Group
- Amid the Noise and the Haste - a film by Colin Norrby (Premiere)
View Festival Programme (pdf, 10MB) or click image above.
View Festival Programme (ISSUU online reader)
All Echo Echo Festival events in September 2021 are free of charge.
Please consider donating what you can to support our continuing work and save the arts. Thank you.
Please support us to maintain a healthy and safe environment for everyone involved by following all Covid-19 best hygiene practice. All Echo Echo Festival events are risk assessed and public health and safety is our top priority so please adhere to guidance provided by Festival staff and stewards. Thank you!
Echo Echo Festival Team
- Artistic Director – Steve Batts
- Associate Artistic Director – Ayesha Mailey
- Company Manager – Ailbe Beirne
- Development Officer – Anna Nolan
- Technical Manager – Barry Davis
- Echo Echo Ensemble – Ayesha Mailey, Kelly Quigley, Zoe Ramsey, Tonya Sheina
- Video and Photography – Simon Alleyne
- Publicity artwork and design – Ciaran Harley at zoocreative
- Board of Directors – Deirdre Gillespie, Esther Alleyne, Mandy Blinco, Cath McBride
Thanks to all of the artists involved for all of their generous collaborative approach and encouragement in making this programme possible – and to all of their circles of colleagues, funders and supporters.
Thank you to our principal funders, Arts Council of Northern Ireland and Derry City and Strabane District Council; special mentions for Caoileann Curry-Thompson and team at ACNI and to Jacqueline Whoriskey, John Kerr and all of the team at Council for their flexibility and support throughout the pandemic. Thanks to all of the previous Festival funders and supporters over the last eight years.
Our thanks to the Woodland Trust, Department for Communities, Altnagelvin Hospital, City Cemetery (DCSDC), St Columb’s Cathedral, Foyle Valley, City Centre Initiative, Translink, Inner City Trust, Executive Office NI and Foyle Port. Many thanks again to all at Causeway Coast Maritime Heritage Group.
Thanks to all of the Echo Echo staff, ensemble and directors for their continued commitment and dedication during what has been a hugely difficult time for the arts and for society as a whole.
Finally, thanks to you – our audiences, colleagues, friends and family for your continued support!