Echo Echo Festival of Dance and Movement returns for an expanded fourth edition from 10th to 26th November with an outstanding programme of dance, movement and physical theatre performances including Ockham’s Razor with their acclaimed aerial production Tipping Point in Foyle Arena – suitable for all the family; award-winning video triptych by Rosemary Lee; Chico Katsube and Shoko Kashima from Japan; new festival commission by Kelly Quigley and Echo Echo Ensemble; new works by Leilani Weis and company and by Zoe Ramsey and Tonya Sheina; participatory performance work by Mary Nunan; a special triple bill evening by Oona Doherty, Lewys Holt, Saltator Dance Company; and two evenings of Short Works by local and visiting artists created from the Festival Open Call.
Come and see some shows and join us for a packed programme of daily classes and workshops, artist talks, funk soul maestros Velvet Alibi in concert, Festival Symposium Conversations on Moving and Being Moved, and family friendly Dance Picnic!
Festival Programme 2016
Echo Echo Festival programme for 2016 includes the following events:
- 10-11 November - Kelly Quigley presents FRACTALS - AN EVENING OF SHORT WORKS
- 10-26 November - LIQUID GOLD IS THE AIR by Rosemary Lee and Ros Chesher
- 11-17 November - Chico Katsube and Shoko Kashima present PHASE 47 and a series of IMPROVISATION performances around the city
- 12-13 November - TRIPLE BILL with Oona Doherty, Lewys Holt and Saltator Dance Company
- 18-19 November - SHORT WORKS - a programme of 8 performances created from the Festival Open Call 2016
- 19 November - Festival Dance Picnic - suitable for all ages
- 20 November - Mary Nunan presents OPEN O: PERFORMING SILENCE
- 20&23 November - A BOX created and performed by Zoe Ramsey and Antonina Sheina
- 22-23 November - Leilani Weis and company present DONES: WOMEN JUST DANCING (EVERYWHERE)
- 25-26 November - Conversations on Moving and Being Moved - A Festival Symposium
- 24-25-26 November - Ockham's Razor present TIPPING POINT
- 26 November - Festival Closing Concert with Velvet Alibi
Echo Echo Festival programme is available to download as a pdf (18MB).
Echo Echo Festival programme is available to view on issuu now .
Festival events will be held at:
- Echo Echo Studio 1 and Studio 2, Magazine Street
- Foyle Arena, St Columb's Park, Limavady Road
- Garden of Reflection Gallery, Bishop Street
- The Craft Village, Derry city centre
- The Playtrail, Racecourse Road
- Donemana PS, County Tyrone
- St Columb's Park House, St Columb's Road, off Limavady Road
- Ulster University School of Performing Arts, Foyle Arts Building, Lawrence Hill
With thanks to all of the partner venues and their staff.
Feedback on past Echo Echo Festivals
Thank YOU for welcoming us so open-heartedly, and allowing us to experience one of the most inspiring weeks of our life! We truly had a wonderful time, not only on stage but also during the workshops, the symposium, and exploring Derry and its environs! Sophie Ammann, Junebug Company, Switzerland
To my knowledge there is not another festival of this kind in Northern Ireland. It therefore has a unique importance. I love the informality of the event, the chance to really meet and chat with the artists and the warmth of the Echo Echo team. Mags Byrne, DU Dance, Belfast
Inspiring on so many levels. An amazing range of talent from so many disciplines of such high quality is rarely seen in Derry. The festival is extraordinary. Audience member on Short Works
Open Call 2016
Thanks to everyone who submitted to the 2016 Festival Open Call. We have been overwhelmed by the number of submissions this year and have not been able to respond to each proposal individually. We can assure you that the Echo Echo team took time to view all of the proposals, nearly 180 in total, and will be in touch with you if selected.
Echo Echo Festival of Dance and Movement 2016 is supported by Arts Council of Northern Ireland, Derry City and Strabane District Council, Esmée Fairbairn Foundation, The Japan Foundation, and the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht.
With thanks to all visiting artist and company photographers.