About The Cove
The Cove is an original piece of dance-theatre which was inspired by the hidden Port-a-Doris Cove, near Shroove, on the North Donegal coast. It pulses with memories of scaling crags with sea below, feeling the rocks with fingertips, smelling and tasting the air. The effort… the challenge…the pleasure… the fear and sense of mortality.
Critically acclaimed work by Steve Batts and Belfast-based artist Dan Shipsides with Echo Echo ensemble of six dancers, featuring innovative set installation by Dan Shipsides, original score by Christopher Norby, and Costume by Helen Quigley.
The Cove was developed from the Batts-Shipsides project Vertical Nature Base, and was originally produced with support of the Legacy Trust UK Connections programme, part of the London 2012 Cultural Olympiad.
The Cove was recently recognised as a Highlight of Stage and Screen Design 2007-14 by Irish Theatre Institute .
the dance is a multi-layered meditation on overcoming the constant force of gravity and the fear of falling in order to achieve the joyous freedom of the peak. Michael Seaver, Irish Theatre Magazine
The Cove credits
Created by Steve Batts and Dan Shipsides
Produced by Echo Echo Dance Theatre Company
Director-Choreographer: Steve Batts
Set installation: Dan Shipsides
Dancers (2017): Esther Alleyne, Ayesha Mailey, Kelly Quigley, Zoe Ramsey, Tonya Sheina, Maria Svensson
Original score: Christopher Norby with Colin Norrby
Costume: Helen Quigley
Lighting Design and tour Technical Manager: Barry Davis
Lighting Design (2012): Robert Dahlke
Tour Technical Support: John-Paul Conaghan, Darren Owens
The Cove Artwork: Mark Willett
Photography: Sarah Bryden Photography, Dan Shipsides, Steve Batts and Living Witness Productions
Video: R&D Media
- Saturday 18th February at 8pm - Echo Echo Studios, Derry
- Sunday 19th February at 8pm - Echo Echo Studios, Derry
- Tuesday 21st February at 8pm - Black Box Theatre, Galway (with Poetic Movement Workshop)
- Saturday 4th March at 8pm - Lyric Theatre, Belfast
- Sunday 5th March at 2pm - Lyric Theatre, Belfast
- Saturday 25th March at 3pm - Echo Echo Studios, Derry
- Friday 31st March at 8pm - The Source Arts Centre, Thurles
- Saturday 1st April at 8pm - Lime Tree Theatre, Limerick
- Thursday 6th April at 7.30pm - Project Arts Centre, Dublin
- Friday 7th April at 7.30pm - Project Arts Centre, Dublin (Followed by Artist Talk with Steve Batts, Dan Shipsides and Paul Johnson)
- Saturday 8th Aril at 7.30pm - Project Arts Centre, Dublin
The Cove 2017 was supported by the North South Touring Fund, Arts Council of Ireland and Arts Council of Northern Ireland.
At Echo Echo Studios, Derry
- Wednesday 14th May to Saturday 17th May (Five performances)
- Wednesday 3rd October, An Grianan Theatre, Letterkenny
- Friday 5th October, Roe Valley Arts Centre, Limavady
- Tuesday 9th October, Strule Arts Centre, Omagh
- Wednesday 10th October, Burnavon Theatre, Cookstown
- Friday 12th October, Black Box, Belfast
- Saturday 13th October, Down Arts Centre, Downpatrick
- Wednesday 17th October, Millennium Forum, Derry
The Cove 2012 was supported by Legacy Trust UK and Arts Council NI.
Gallery images by Sarah Bryden Photography and Living Witness Productions.