By Rosemary Lee and Echo Echo Dance Theatre Company.
Around 500 people were involved in filming WITHOUT during April 2013 including cyclists, tea-dancers, skateboarders, dancers, and hundreds of local primary school children. Many thousands of people watched the work being filmed around the city from Bishop Street to the Guildhall, from Ebrington to Creggan.
The seven films are shown concurrently, in-the-round, in a specially created installation accompanied by an original sound score by Graeme Miller. Each full cycle lasts 22 minutes and is shown on a continuous loop.
When I first visited Derry/Londonderry I walked the city walls to get a sense of the location and was amazed and moved by the topography of the city. It seemed I could look into and out of the city in equal measure, see its history in the layout of streets as well as in the very stone work, witness its domestic family life and its commercial one in the same view, and all the while see a continuous horizon of distant hills and sky.
Having been asked to make a new work for and with Echo Echo for 2013 I felt I wanted to honour that first impression and try to include the whole city in some way, creating a gentle and permanent panoramic work that encompassed the living city and its people. Rosemary Lee
- 30 August - 6 October 2013 - Echo Echo Studios, Derry-Londonderry
- 28 November - 12 December 2013 - Echo Echo Studios, Derry
- 2 - 30 May 2014 - Rua Red Gallery, Dublin Dance Festival
- 18 July - 8 August 2015 - Echo Echo Studios, Derry
- 16-17 March 2016 - Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff - British Dance Edition 2016
Acclaim for WITHOUT
With the wind billowing their loose white shirts, this community of 400 are dispersed around the squares of town hall and cathedral, of housing estates, city walls, parks and bus-fuelled streets. They dance in twos and threes, like a pop-up citizenry on the move, crouching and running, creating shapes of a siege, a protest or a lost childhood game.
Irish Times, May 2014
Blown away by Without... Beautiful, funny and moving.
Matthew Taylor, The RSA
What they were all a part of is an ingeniously conceived marvel of community-based art.
Donald Hutera, Animated (Full review )
Spectacular and immersive poem of the city.
Stephen McCauley, BBC Radio Ulster Soundscapes
- Artistic Director/ Choreographer - Rosemary Lee
- Composer - Graeme Miller
- Choreographic team/Workshop leaders - Echo Echo Ensemble: Esther Alleyne, Janie Doherty, Ayesha Mailey, Tonya Sheina, Kelly Quigley, Erin Shanks
- Director of Photography - David Gopsill
- Editor - Becky Edmunds
- Production Coordinator - Esther Alleyne (Echo Echo)
- Production Assistant - Kirsty Brady (Echo Echo)
- Production Manager (film) - Seamus Coyle
- Camera Assistant - Eamonn Brown
- Camera Assistant /Stills Photography - Simon Alleyne
- Artwork Design (Derry) - Mark Willett
- Costume co-ordination - Helen Quigley
- Production Manager (installation) - Steve Wald
- Synchronised Playback System - Rob Prouse
- Installation set-up /support - Barry Davis (Echo Echo), Hugh McCarthy (Rua Red), Jamie King, Richie Hughes
- Participation Development Officer - Anna Nolan (Echo Echo)
- Produced by - Ailbe Beirne / Steve Batts (Echo Echo)
- Producer for Rosemary Lee - Nicky Childs (Artsadmin)
WITHOUT was commissioned by Echo Echo Dance Theatre Company.
Supported by UK City of Culture, Arts Council of Northern Ireland, Arts Council England, and Department of Culture, Arts & Leisure (NI).
Presented in association with Artsadmin .
Additionally supported by The Place (London), Rosemary Lee Projects, British Council and The Honourable The Irish Society.
Images by Living Witness Productions and Mark Willett.